.: Driving to neverland :.

You get lost along the way but you always get to where you're going.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My first time...

I was tense and nervous the entire weekend thinking of how my first time would turn out... would it be a good one or a bad one?

Today, I encountered my first patient for Physical Diagnosis Class (it was actually a sort of compilation of everything we learned and how we would apply it to patients) Aside from taking the long and tedious medical history of a patient, we had to do a littany of tests on the patient from the head way down to palpating parts of her stomach.

I went to the list of preceptors, hoping I wouldn't get one of the dreaded "terror" consultants who just love screaming their heads off at lowly medical students. As soon as I saw my precept, I breathed a sign of relief, I already had her before and she was one of those doctors who just keep quiet during the practical exam, ask what you think you missed or did wrong then comment about what you did afterwards... that's fine with me.

As I entered room 1426b, my palms were sweating I was tachycardic and dyspneic. I went in the room, introduced myself with the biggest smile I could muster, tried to seem sincere and friendly (don't get me wrong, of course I felt both but I was to nervous to show them... I had to consciously show it). As I started the interview, I realized that my patient was very cooperative, she immediately told me everything that was wrong with her (even symptoms that were not related at all to her present illness). She was also cooperative with the entire physical exam... imagine letting a stranger lift up your breast and teach you here, there and everywhere! (at least my hands weren't cold or clammy because by that time, I was already fine with eveything since all was going well)

In the end, everything went smoothly and without a hitch... the entire time, my preceptor was just quietly sitting behind me, then left me alone with the patient since I only had a few tests to do on her.

After everything, I sincerely thanked Mrs. Elli from the bottom of my heart for being a great sport about it.

I'm glad that my patient was kind and good-mannered, I heard that others had patients who were very uncooperative and a classmate's patient even screamed at her. Very scary for a first time experience... I know I will encounter people like that but I'm glad that my first time went well... a memorable experience!